+44 (0) 845 4006666

Do I need permission?

Before carrying out a basement conversion it is advisable to seek guidance from the Planning department, as planning permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts and from Environmental Health so that they can consider if the proposed accommodation will be adequate.

A Building Regulations application is required for converting an existing basement to habitable use, excavating a new basement or extending an existing basement.

If the proposed works affect a party wall, e.g. if beams are to bear onto a party wall, the wall is to be extended, altered, underpinned or if excavations are to be carried out near to a party wall, the owners and leaseholders of both the building within which the proposed basement works are to take place and those of adjoining properties must be informed.

The relevant legislation is the Party Wall etc Act 1996.

Guidance notes on the Act are available from DCLG Free Literature, PO Box 236, Wetherby, L23 7NB,or they can be accessed on the internet from the website of the Department of Communities and Local Government.

The Local Authority does not have a role in the implementation of the provisions of the Party Wall etc Act 1996.

Works should not start unless all necessary approvals have been received.