Work Commences On Newcastle Premier Inn
Art Deco Rennovation
A £17m project to breathe new life into the much-loved Co-op building in Newcastle is taking shape. Construction on the Grade-II listed structure began in April and is expected to be completed by December 2015. When finished it will contain a 184-bedroom Premier Inn hotel, other retail outlets and a large gym.
The impressive building extends to nearly 170,000 sq ft over six floors and has become a feature of the cities skyline since its completion in the 1930's.
It was initially designed by architect L.G. Ekins, who was strongly influenced by Egyptian designs of which he integrated in to the then modern Art Deco style of the period.
600 Strong Project
The Newgate Street building and adjoining multi-storey car park were bought for £9m from the Co-operative Group by DTZ Investment Management. The work is being carried out on its behalf by Interserve Plc. It will involve more than 600 people and a target has been set of 80% of staff coming from the region.
Meanwhile, Interserve aims to place 80% of the project’s £17m contract value with local businesses.
Site Sealants Ltd and thier team of Certified Surveyors in structural waterproofing were brought in to spearhead the basement restoration which required as much as 10,000m2 of Wykamol Waterproofing Membrane.
Twentieth Century Heritage
Due to the history of the site, and the complexity of the work, the firm has employed heritage consultant Sarah Dyer, who said: “It’s an amazing building which is revealing something new to us almost every day on the build.”
All work has been closely monitored by Newcastle City Council to ensure it adheres to strict preservation guidelines. It was originally constructed in two stages, on St Andrew’s Street in 1902 while the Art Deco building followed in 1930.
Original Clock Designs
The Co-op there closed in 2011. From then until it was bought in March this year it suffered serious deterioration caused by the elements - water damage was a great concern - as well as vandals and thieves. In August 2012 the four clocks at the top of the building were stolen by thieves posing as builders in hi vis jackets.
They are to be replaced with three clocks and a barometer made by specialist firm Smith’s of Derby which made the original clocks too, one of a series of coincidences linked to the build.