+44 (0) 845 4006666

MCS1 Mould Clear Concentrate

The Wykamol Mould Control System (MCS) is a three-stage treatment for walls, ceilings etc. affected by condensation mould. When our recommendations are followed, and all three stages are completed, surfaces will exhibit excellent resistance to mould growth even under severe condensation conditions. Typically, full control can be achieved for up to 5 years but this can be extended considerably where moisture control measures are implemented (we are able to advise on issues such as ventilation, insulation and heating control, all of which can reduce the causes of condensation).

All the products within the MCS Range can be used independently of each other but in most cases we recommend the full 3- stage treatment is used to achieve the best possible control over mould re-growth or colonisation.

Stage 1 – Sterilisation

MouldClear Concentrate – MCS1

We recommend the wash is applied before removing mould-damaged paint or paper (to minimise spread of viable spores).When applied liberally to papered surfaces it can be an effective stripping agent. After the first wash, and once damaged paper or plaster has been removed, it is necessary to apply a second wash with MouldClear solution to leave the surface clean and remove any residues of dead spores etc. It is recommended that mould affected woodchip and Anaglypta papers are always removed and are not recommended for re-instatement.

Based on established active ingredients, the MouldClear solution both cleans and sterilises the surface as the first stage towards re-decoration. Alternatively, it can be used singly, as required, to control spore development where other measures are to be completed at a later time.


Instructions for use: Dilute one part of concentrate with 4 parts of warm water. Apply diluted solution at a rate of 1 litre per 10 m2 with a brush, sponge or cloth, extending the wash area at least one metre beyond signs of surface mould growth. Repeat as necessary to remove surface spores and dirt. Allow to dry before continuing with Stage 2.

The Problem

Every dwelling, irrespective of its construction, contains within its fabric mould spores which are dormant and completely harmless. However, given the right conditions these spores will germinate resulting in extensive growths of disfiguring black mould (Aspergillus Niger).

Mould needs very little nutrient and will grow on walls and ceilings irrespective of the decorative finish. Mould spores will also spread into the air which can be a serious health risk, and give off an obnoxious musty smell. Clothes, furnishings and carpets can also be destroyed by unsightly mould.

The Cause

Mould in the home arises from dampness, predominantly caused by condensation. However, a small proportion of problems occur due to other forms of dampness - rising damp, penetrating damp, bursts and leaks. The incidence of condensation in domestic dwellings has increased tenfold in the last decade and is attributable to various factors - lack of heating - inadequate ventilation - use of paraffin and LPG heaters. The modernisation of properties, making homes virtually airtight and draught free with new windows and the removal of open fires, is an additional contributory factor.

The Health Risk

Mould in houses, even a small concentration, can be a health risk which may result is asthma and other respiratory diseases. Mould also attacks foodstuff resulting in a risk of food poisoning, Environmental Health Professional Practice - Mould Fungal Spores 1985 refers.

The British Medical Journal report,Damp Housing,Mould Growth and Symptomatic Health State 24/6/89, confirms that active spores. even in small concentrations, are detrimental to the well being of adults and children.