+44 (0) 845 4006666

MCS2 Biobond Stabiliser

The Wykamol Mould Control System (MCS) is a three-stage treatment for walls, ceilings etc. affected by condensation mould. When our recommendations are followed, and all three stages are completed, surfaces will exhibit excellent resistance to mould growth even under severe condensation conditions. Typically, full control can be achieved for up to 5 years but this can be extended considerably where moisture control measures are implemented (we are able to advise on issues such as ventilation, insulation and heating control, all of which can reduce the causes of condensation).

All the products within the MCS Range can be used independently of each other but in most cases we recommend the full 3- stage treatment is used to achieve the best possible control over mould re-growth or colonisation.

Stage 2 – Surface Preparation

Biobond Stabiliser – MCS2

Biobond Stabiliser is a ready-for-use biocidal primer for ‘bonding’ plaster etc. surfaces prior to re-decoration. It contains a deeply penetrating inorganic biocide designed to kill off the ‘roots’ (hyphae) of the mould thereby preventing re-growth underneath freshly applied paint or paper finishes.

The solution should be applied to reasonably dry surfaces to facilitate penetration of the substrate.

 

Instructions for use: Before application remove all loose or flaking paint and rub down to a sound surface. Etch previously painted surfaces with e.g. glass paper to form a key. Apply neat Biobond Stabiliser by brush at a rate of 1 litre per 10 m2 and extend the treatment approximately 1 metre beyond the mould growth area. Pay particular attention to corners and junctions. On porous surfaces, once the first coat has soaked in, apply a second coat (allow to dry fully before continuing).

The Problem

Every dwelling, irrespective of its construction, contains within its fabric mould spores which are dormant and completely harmless. However, given the right conditions these spores will germinate resulting in extensive growths of disfiguring black mould (Aspergillus Niger).

Mould needs very little nutrient and will grow on walls and ceilings irrespective of the decorative finish. Mould spores will also spread into the air which can be a serious health risk, and give off an obnoxious musty smell. Clothes, furnishings and carpets can also be destroyed by unsightly mould.

The Cause

Mould in the home arises from dampness, predominantly caused by condensation. However, a small proportion of problems occur due to other forms of dampness - rising damp, penetrating damp, bursts and leaks. The incidence of condensation in domestic dwellings has increased tenfold in the last decade and is attributable to various factors - lack of heating - inadequate ventilation - use of paraffin and LPG heaters. The modernisation of properties, making homes virtually airtight and draught free with new windows and the removal of open fires, is an additional contributory factor.

The Health Risk

Mould in houses, even a small concentration, can be a health risk which may result is asthma and other respiratory diseases. Mould also attacks foodstuff resulting in a risk of food poisoning, Environmental Health Professional Practice - Mould Fungal Spores 1985 refers.

The British Medical Journal report,Damp Housing,Mould Growth and Symptomatic Health State 24/6/89, confirms that active spores. even in small concentrations, are detrimental to the well being of adults and children.